Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Last Kiss

So I'm still processing the movie from last night. And the movie this morning didn't really help. [though it didn't really hurt].

I went to Blockbuster to watch a few of those movies that I really wanted to see that either no one else did, or had at least never verbalized to me that they wanted to see them.

I meandered around the Blockbuster for quite sometime looking at titles - for rent or for sale. Immediately I saw my first choice. The Last Kiss. It was on the really cheap table, so I decided to purchase this one instead of rent it. My second choice was Love in the Time of Cholera. The second choice was mainly because I was having a hard time getting into the book, so I thought by watching the plot it would help motivate me into reading it.

The Last Kiss, though I don't specifically remember the trailer, I remembered two things about it. That it had an amazing soundtrack. And that I remember wanting to see it. With that said I popped it in as soon as I got home. It did a number on me.

For one, it's not the happy-go-lucky tail of love that most romantic comedies have. It wasn't a feel good movie. It actually left me questioning everything that I thought about love, relationships, and fidelity. It scared me how easily all the main characters either left or gave up on something that could have worked with just a little communication. It reminded me of the times that people had walked out on me "just because". It scared me that it could happen again.

I would have given anything to talk it over with a person or two (and maybe one very specific person). I know that when I love, I love deeply. And it's very scary for me to love someone, because there's always that fear that maybe they don't love you quite as much as you do. What if they decide that you're not worth loving?

I cried after the movie was over because I don't know what I would have done if I were in the position of the women in this movie. In any of the positions.

Ultimately, I think I may pop it back in today and look at it with fresh eyes. Eyes that understand where the story is going so that when it drastically turns I won't be shocked and appalled.

This is a movie I think that I really, really like. It just rattles you a little. Challenges you to ask the tough questions. And makes you evaluate what you have and where you're going. It moved me more than I think it would most, but if you want a tough movie.... Check it out.

1 comment:

Kindall said...

I think since you're reviewing movies you ought to review Mister Lonely. I'd like to hear your articulate thoughts on what exactly that movie meant to you.