Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Amazing

People intrigue me. Mary and I were talking about this last night. The ponderings of what the drivers are thinking and feeling on the road. I love sitting and watching people in an airport terminal or a mall. I also enjoy sitting in the hallway prior to class - watching, and in this case, listening to the people around me.

There are several people that I think I would be friends with if I had actually been a student here in the capacity that they all are. They are nursing majors (soon to switch out), pre-dental, and pre-med students. I fall under the category of a 'gen ed' student in the course, but I would shirk at being clumped in the categories that those around me are.

The attitude and demeanor of the people around me drive me nuts sometimes. But then it leads me to wonder what happened in their lives to make them so angry at the world or so uptight. In a lot of cases, the answer is simple - they are freshmen.

I get that. I was there. I thought I knew everything. In some ways I still unfortunately fall into that category. I try very hard to understand those around me and to respect the decisions of those smarter than me and with more knowledge and wisdom than I. More often than not though, it's the younger generations that I want to shake.

But then I have to remember... I was there myself. Life is amazing. People are amazing. And despite my constant frustration with human-kind.... I'm amazed.

No comments: